View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
IMO, 302F is way beyond the safe point for ATF. Even Ford Super Duties (4R100) are not supposed to go past ~220, but frequently run 190-210. To me, that's hot.

My FZJ-80 never saw any temps above 180, even when towing in Omaha at 106F ambient temps. It normally ran at 140F.

The temp at which the 'AT Hot' light comes on in Toyotas (including FJ62s) is super high and to me, far beyond reasonable (if it's the sump fluid temp). If my ATF got anywhere near that temp, I'd immediately do a fluid change and add a big cooler. YMMV.
302 is critical temp! ATF looses it's lubricating properties at 290+ and at 300+ the expansion of steel and aluminum parts is extremely dissimilar. In other words, if your light comes on you need to pull over and let it idle for a bit and cool it back down! Autos in modern cars have a tougher time than the older ones due to higher operating temps of the modern engine. Older vehicles rarely had external tranny coolers and now almost everything has them.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior