View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
WyoOtto's Avatar
WyoOtto WyoOtto is offline
Rock Stacker
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 23

I'll add my 2 cents and fill in the blanks:

As you all know, yesterday was a beautiful day and, at 10,000+ feet, it wasn’t even that hot. In light of the weather and a bit of spare time (baching it this weekend) the dog and I loaded up to take Fishy’s advice and investigate Twin Cone peak. Being new to this country, I loaded up everything but the kitchen sink for contingencies and, after downloading directions from Traildamage, set out around 11:30 am. The trip to the trailhead was unremarkable, save for the traffic – it’s still difficult for me to drive around so many cars (you can take the boy out of Wyoming, but you can’t take the Wyoming out of the boy). Once I turned onto the dirt, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief and relax. The lower part of the road in is mellow as I’m sure you all know. After climbing the switchbacks and seeing my destination for the first time, I could tell that snow was not going to be an issue. However, I could see several vehicles parked a couple hundred yards below the top. I couldn’t tell at that point if there was an obstacle or if these folks were just having lunch with beautiful views of South Park, or if they were broken down. I made my way up the lower steep sections, admittedly taking some of the smaller rock bypasses in light of the fact that I was wheeling solo and didn’t want to suffer a broken whatever this far from home… As I crested the “lower ridge” I could see that the 2 vehicles were still parked and a number of folks were either sitting in the sunshine or milling about. I made my way across the open bowl below the top and began the short but steep ascent up to where they were parked. 2 Jeeps. 5 kids (recent – 2 weeks ago- high school graduates). I stopped to talk with them and learned that the CJ or whatever it was (I know diddly about Jeeps) had broken motor mounts and the fan went into the radiator. A 3rd rig that was with them had gone back to Bailey to get parts (new radiator and motor mounts). Knowing there was nothing I could do to help them at that point I made my way on up to the top. I engaged the lockers just below the very top, mostly just to exercise them though there was one combination of boulders that the LX wheelbase was perfectly wrong for climbing over with the diffs open. I took some pics, walked the dog down to some snowmelt on the north side of the mountain for a cool plunge and drink, and then turned around.
When I got back to the jeeps, their parts had not yet arrived and I learned that they were somewhat lacking in tools. At that point I started taking a closer look at what they were up against and realized very quickly that my bottle jack, hilift platform and possibly my jackstands would come in very handy, not to mention other tools. After a few minutes, my tools were out of my rig and a number of them were under the heap, supporting the engine. This rig was a piece of work. Bushings were gone out of the leaf spring eyes leaving the leaf packs cocked at a grisly looking angle. The casting around the flywheel was smashed and the flywheel was open to the elements. I’m certain there was more volume of fluid caked on and dripping down the external parts of the rig than were contained within its reservoirs.
Having some of my tools stuck under the jeep, I had no choice but to sit back, relax in the sun with gorgeous views of south park, spit sunflower seeds and listen to the enlightening banter of high schoolers – to be young again!
After a half a bag of sunflower seeds and an hour or so of waiting, one of the boys called his buddy who’d gone for parts to find out what was taking so long. Thank god we had cell service because it turned out the rescue rig had lost its fuel pump on the way back in just before the trail gets difficult. At this point a guy and is family in a Rubicon who had joined the party volunteered to go down to shuttle the parts back up. Another hour and we had parts. While the “mechanic” of the group of high schoolers and I put the motormounts in, one of the other kids and his girlfriend installed the radiator. Within 35 minutes, the rig was running and the kids were preparing to go to the top, come hell or high water. I retrieved my tools and started down. I made it back to my house by a little after 6pm, 3 hours later than I’d intended, but what the hey. As for the kids, I don’t know how their day ended, but it probably wasn’t with high water. As for the other option, given the condition of their rides, that was a distinct possibility…
A few pics:

My faithful partner just below the top but above the jeeps...

The jeeps from the top

My tools under a heap...

The heaps flywheel - hanging it all out..

No bueno...

to end the post on a better note...

Shots, you drove by while I was elbow deep in a jeep.... I was the one that waved when you drove by...

Last edited by WyoOtto; 06-10-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote