View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I have the programming cable and supposedly you can get CHIRP to run on the Mac, but I can't get it to work. Perhaps I'll have more success with running it through a windows emulator.
There is no need to deal with Windows or emulators here. CHiRP being a Linux application is a PITA to run on Windows, paradoxically, it's actually much easier to run it in OSX. In Windows using RT Systems software is easier to get going.

I assume your Mac is not seeing the USB cables? What brand cables are you using or do you know what USB chip it is using? I have used CHiRP to program a FTM-350, VX-6, VX-7, FT-60, IC-7000, FT-817 and FT-857 so far.

It's not difficult at all. I'm a Linux/UNIX geek so it was almost embarrassingly easy. If you can use a text editor and navigate with the terminal you can do it, too. In fact, you can do it through the GUI if you download native MacVim. Don't be tempted to use TextEdit, it will honk up the files and drop character turds in the file. You have to use a program that won't screw up UNIX-native XML files.

RT Systems cables, which I use pretty much exclusively, use FTDI interfaces. FTDI seems to have written support into the Windows driver but it does not seem they've made it into the Mac one nor does it seem Apple has done it either yet (at least as of 10.8.4).

FWIW, RT Systems use a VID of 0x2100 or 8448 as an integer and the PID varies by cable. As integers (which is what OS X kext need to be) the RT cable CT57B is 40530, CT62B is 40534, CT81B is 40538, CT29B is 40532, RTS01 is 40535 and CT63 is 40536.

At this point the cables should be unplugged.

I started with 2.2.18 of the FTDI VCP.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Download it and install it like normal. You probably should restart after installing it, although it's not strictly necessary.

At this point you have a choice, open a Terminal or download and install Vim and do it all in the GUI. The steps assume you are doing in the Terminal. You can edit the file in MacVim but you will have to use the Terminal at the end, so might as well do it the right way from the start.

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Once that is done, navigate to system extensions. If you are using MacVim, you can do it through the Finder. Otherwise type the following. BTW, in UNIX you can type the first character or two of a directory or file and press 'tab' to complete. That makes navigation MUCH easier, use it!

cd /System/Library/Extensions

It will make life a bit easier if you also:

alias ll='ls -al'

Now do:

ll | grep FTDI

The character between ll and grep is called the pipe, it's the character above the backslash on the far right of your keyboard. The pipe in UNIX allows you to stack commands, ll (actually 'ls') is list and grep is a search function. What this command is doing is listing (with modifiers of 'a' and 'l', which I had you do in the alias) and searching for FTDI. You can always type in OS X "man" (e.g. type "man ls" to get all you'd ever want to know about the listing function) to get information, this brings up the manual page for the function.

You should see:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 May 5 06:36 FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

If so, your driver install was successful and you can move on.

cd FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents/

ll

You should see:

total 408
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Jun 13 16:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 May 5 06:36 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 206353 Jun 13 16:24 Info.plist
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Aug 8 2012 MacOS
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Aug 8 2012 Resources

Now type the following. You need to have root privileges to edit and do some thing, which is what "sudo" is for, it's superuserdo. You will have to enter the password of an administrator.

sudo vi Info.plist

This will open Info.plist in Vim, which is a text editor. I added entries for all the cables as well as a bunch of other stuff, like a TIAO protocol adapter for JTAG. As an example the entry for one of my cables looks like this:

<key>CT62B Radio Cable</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>FTDIUSBSerialDriver</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBInterface</string>
<key>bConfigurationValue</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>bInterfaceNumber</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>40534</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>8448</integer>
</dict>

The things to note are the identifier key, idProduct (PID) and idVendor (VID).

If you're never used Vi, you type "i" to insert text (your prompt may change from a block to an underscore, or maybe not) and use spaces and not tabs to line up all the text. After you edit the kext file you need to save and exit from Vim. Type <shift> <:> to enter command mode and then type "wq" to save (e.g. write) the file and quit.

Now you need to load it into the kernel (kext is 'kernel extension').

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extension/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

It will be unremarkable, nothing will happen. But now type:

ll /dev | grep cu

You will see

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 3 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Bluetooth-Modem
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 1 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 5 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Nokia2720a-2b-NokiaPCSu

Plug in your cable.

ll /dev | grep cu

You will see:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 3 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Bluetooth-Modem
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 1 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 5 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Nokia2720a-2b-NokiaPCSu
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 9 Jun 28 06:02 cu.usbserial-RTT9DVPN

DONE! That is the device driver for your cable. Now in CHiRP when you go to download or upload from radio you will see it under ports, use it.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 06-28-2013 at 09:53 AM.