View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.
Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.