View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks for all the replies. It just wasn't clear from all the reading I had done online what the current status was. I remember some years ago when Bill Morgan was our Land Use Coordinator, he had mentioned working with (somebodies???) on getting it reopened.

This is a quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The BWR is a four-wheel-drive road not suited to lower clearance two-wheel-drive vehicles. Although open prior to 2008 and in good condition, this road remains to this day a subject of much controversy between its users and some officials who want it closed. In 2002 the James Peak Wilderness and Protection Area Bill (aka Public Law 107-216) was signed into legislation by President George W. Bush and Congress. The Bill specifically created a narrow road corridor between the Indian Peaks and James Peaks Wilderness areas and states that if any of the affected counties (Grand, Gilpin or Boulder) request, the Secretary of the USDA will cooperate and assist with the repair of the Rollins Pass Road and until that time the attendant road (the BWR) will remain open to motorized use. Boulder County officials and the USFS-Boulder Ranger District have resisted the wording of the law and have closed the BWR. Both Grand and Gilpin Counties have made numerous written requests to the Secretary for the repair of Rollins Pass Road but to date there has been no repair of the road or the barricaded Needles Eye Tunnel. The reopening of the BWR, and/or repair of the Rollins Pass Road, and even the facts surrounding the 1990 accident in the tunnel, have become contentious and ongoing issues.
It sounds to me that BRD is in violation of a federal statute!

Has anyone here in this forum been up there and seen the nature of the closure first hand? I mean, if it is just a sign that says it is closed, but you could drive around it, what would happen? Or is it one of those deals where they've put some giant rocks in the path and you'd need a Wild Rice style rig to get passed?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/