View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Wincher

Primitive camping is far and few between. I prefer primitive as well. However, most flat areas are taken by private or Federal campgrounds as the valleys are steep. Most primitive campground spots are right next to the road.

There are a few Federal campgrounds up Mineral Creek outside of Silverton At the end of Mineral Creek (past the turn off to Clear Lake) are some nice primitive spots, but a 30 minute drive to Highway 550 then another 30 minutes to Ouray.

Outside of Ouray on the road to Yankee Boy are a few Federal Campgrounds. Stayed in Angel Creek Campground two weeks ago ($10/site). Another campground was a few miles up the road.

I am going to keep it simple and stay at 4J if they have spots left. At least they have separate area for tents so you are not next to an R.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool breeze View Post
Interested in joining you guys for this! Having only lived in co for two years i think we are failing at our job to see the beauty by not yet go to Ouray.

Is there any primitive camping around the places everyone else is camping that would be easily to meet up in the morning?