Thread: Tire Advice...
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I ran 33 x 10.5 BFG M/Ts and M/T KMs on all my Land Cruisers for years and years, and they were fine as long as you siped them. No siping and you will have major scary issues in ice, snow and even wet pavement. I tore a sidewall pretty bad on Hackett Rock some years ago, but other than that they were good tires as long as they were siped.

When they came out with the KM2s and I needed new tires for my 60 I started looking around and a lot of people were saying good things about the Duratracs. I put a set of 285/75R16s on and couldn't be more pleased. They do great in snow, ice and wet pavement, stick like crazy glue on the rocks, go fine in mud and are surprisingly quiet on the highway for how aggressive the tread is.

When I first got them I was unsure about the sidewall, they really seem to bulge more than I am used to, and at first I was a bit afraid to air them down much. I have had them on for over a year and a half and have learned that they aren't "thin" just flexy, and that's a good thing. Better traction and fuel economy. But they aren't thin or weak compared to other tires that don't bulge as much, it's all in their high-tech rubber compound. I air down to 17 PSI now and have wheeled the snot out of them, never had any issues with sidewalls. In fact, my rims haven't even gotten as dinged up as the rims have when I ran the BFGs.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/