View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
guess i won't be sneaking in a ride down there tomorrow evening
Getting word that several Jeffco parks are heavily damaged. Apex for example I understand the lower section is completely gone.

We attempted to ride Silverton to Moab, started Tuesday from Silverton and got rained out. We punted and detoured to Durango after one night. Took us 12 hours to get from Silverton via Little Molas Lake TH over Rolling Pass route on the CT to the first hut. That's normally maybe half that for a 30ish mile singletrack route and the standard route up from Purgatory is 4 hours. Rained the whole time, lots of mud, a mechanical thrown in. It rained all night on and off and was a deluge to start day 2.

Coming home Friday was an adventure. Got into Denver fine, there was a rock slide that closed I-70 westbound at Beaver Brook and the Twin Tunnel road work made for a traffic jam. But things were moving alright eastbound. Got on I-25 north and made it to CO7 and they closed the highway. So we jumped over to Weld Cty 13 and got as far as CO119 before we hit the St Vrain running over it. Got back on I-25, that bridge is higher and was not topped. Got another few miles until we hit another closure, this time clogged solid with cars and trucks. We were diverted off at exit 252. The only road open across Big T was/is Wilson and that is half torn up from Xcel's gas line replacement. One lane in each direction. So we took 48 to 7 and over Larimer Cty 14 through Campion to weave over to Wilson.

St Vrain by I-25 had to be 1/4 mile wide and Big Thompson in Loveland looked like a river back in Missouri. Lots of water.

Kirsten thinks that a couple of her bridges up on US34 up the canyon are probably wiped out. It may be months or years before US34 is fully restored between Loveland and Drake & Estes Park.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 09-14-2013 at 05:52 AM.