View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

I installed lever handles on the interior and all exterior and garage doors on the houses I built. All to Denver code. Knobs are not ADA compliant. You typically don't have to build single family homes to any ADA codes though.

The less expensive locksets I ordered online in bulk turned out to work more effectively than the premium and expensive triple latching front door lock.

Thieves rarely pick or break locks. They just kick in the door. To make that harder, you want 3" screws in the strike plate and at least one three inch screw in each hinge. Do not overtighten those screws though because if the builder did not install proper shims behind each hinge and the strike, you will affect the door operation.

I would think very carefully before having keyed cylinders on the inside. In an emergency, every second counts. Plus, if there is an intruder I want them to be able to get out. For steel security doors if you have a plate or tight mesh by the lock area then no one can reach around to open.