View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO
Default E-tires, lugnuts, ditches, and emissions...

I got the card in the mail that my 1995 FJZ80 requires an emissions test. It is currently equipped with 35" tires so every one on the forum knows I am forced to "borrow" tires in order for the state to accurately test my vehicle on the dyno (I/M240).

Politics aside, I have some 16" wagon wheels on the '65 FJ45lpb and need to know how safe it will be to bolt those to my '95 using my 80's lugnuts. I DO NOT want to end up in the ditch in a ball. The E-test center is a mile from my house so all I need is it to make it there, run their POS test, and make it home.

Thank you in advance...I wish there were reasonable accommodations to test my vehicle safely but here we are...

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...k-information/

Q.
Wheel Sizes and Dynamometers?
A.
Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile rim sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter, or vehicles with wheel sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test.

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...r-im-240-test/

I/M 240 Exceptions

Because of OEM design and/or safety considerations, some 1982 and newer vehicles are not tested on the dynamometer, but are instead tested with the Two-Speed Idle Test. These include but are not limited to:

Corvette, 2005, low-profile stock tires
Cadillac Escalade EXT model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2002 newer
Cooper Mini S, 2002
Daihatsu Rocky, all wheel drive, 1991
Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, optional full-time four-wheel drive model with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2000 and newer
Dodge Stealth R/T, all wheel drive, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1991 and newer
Ford Special Edition Jack Roush Mustang, 2000 and newer
GMC Sierra Denali XL model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2002 and newer
GMC Yukon Denali XL model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2001 and newer
Isuzu Vehicross, all wheel drive, 1999-2002
Landrover Defender 90, all wheel drive, 1994, 1995 & 1997
Mercedes-Benz 500, V-8 with traction control, 1990 and newer
Mercedes-Benz 600 SL and 600 SEL, 1992 and newer
Mitsubishi 3000 GT, all wheel drive, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1991 and newer
Porsche Carrera C-4 and 4S Coupe, Cabriolet and Targa models, all wheel drive, 1989 and newer
Porsche 911 Twin Turbo, all wheel drive, 1996 & 1997
Toyota Rav 4, two-door, all wheel drive, 1996;Volvo 850, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1993-1996
Kit, custom or homemade cars, all model years
Handicapped-plated vehicles with adaptive equipment such as hand controls and lacking foot pedals, all model years
Stretch limousines having a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, and having non-disengagable all-wheel/four-wheel drive or non-disengagable traction control systems, all model years.
Hybrid electric vehicles, such as the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight, and other alternatively powered vehicles do not currently require emissions inspections.

Here's a fun fact!

Let's say you own a Toyota RAV4! you read that correctly, it cannot be tested on the dyno and the state will allow a two speed idle test.... what's that?! the two speed idle test doesn't test NOx. Awesome....

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...981-and-older/

1981 and Older (2-speed idle) Test

The two-speed idle test is performed on 1981 and older gasoline-powered passenger cars and light duty trucks, and on 1982 and newer gasoline-powered, heavy duty vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) greater than 8,500 lbs. The idle test uses a tachometer and a probe to monitor idle emissions. This test analyzes the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions, but not oxides of nitrogen (NOx). There is no driving simulation.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133