View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Depends on how you do it.

Most stock set ups are sorta single shear. There is usually a sleeve that the shock slides over, and then a bolt threads into the tube. This is different than what I consider to be a normal "single shear" which is one side of the brackets you made, an a bolt holding it in. The difference is that there is a welded, usually fairly thick sleeve that is taking the shear in the stock scenario, whereas there is a loose interface between the bolt and the bracket in the second. The second scenario allows for a pivot to form immediately, which fatigues the bolt and is ultimately weak. The first does not allow for this pivot unless the weld fails: since there is not movement inherent in the welded "spindle" for lack of a better word, the stock scenario is stronger.

I'm not sure I explained that well, but there you have it.

The way you are picturing it is more like a stock set up, and probably okay, but I find that the stock toyota stuff is WAY harder than the grade 8 you buy at the store.

If I was building it, I'd put it in double shear, just because I've had enough stuff break embarassingly due to not building in overkill. We are hard on stuff

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead