Thread: Digital Radio
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Digital Radio

Several people on here use APRS and I think a couple of mentioned IRLP. But no one has ever mentioned true digital voice and data. KC0YRM once mentioned that he was considering an D-STAR.

I sold that FT-8800 and now am looking for a new dual bander. I have a FTM-350 that I like a lot and so the FTM-400 was high on the list.

However thinking more about and weighing options for the same money I could do a IC-2820H with the UT-123 D-STAR & GPS. It lacks the APRS features, though it supports a digital mode with some existing infrastructure. Plus it's not difficult to add a TNC to it and do APRS in the background like the FTM-350, FTM-400 and TM-D710.

Of course the 3rd option is the TM-D710. No digital modes but probably the best APRS option.

So who already has or is considering something digital? I'm not enthusiastic about another protocol that Yaesu uses, but don't think D-STAR is all that. If at least a few people get Yaesu digital radios even without a lot of infrastructure the simplex features are nice compared to what ICOM offers with D-STAR. OTOH if D-STAR even looks interesting to a few people then I'll consider the ICOM.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein