Thread: Digital Radio
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
Meh--DSTAR.
Why do you say that? Is it because it's GMSK, thus 'ancient' technology? I couldn't say if it'll grow any more but about 10% of the repeaters in the U.S. are D-STAR currently, which is around 750 of them. There are approximately 30,000 call signs registered and I think about 1,500 repeaters total. There is a D-STAR amateur microsat (OUFTI-1).

This blows away Yaesu at zero (since no network or gateways yet exist) and DMR-MARC (MotoTRBO) at 411 repeaters worldwide and 4,100 IDs.

I wish Yaesu would not have implemented FDMA first but rather gone straight to TDMA. And I /definitely/ wish they would not have spec'd AMBE+2 for the vocoder and gone with Codec2 instead. But at least setting up a repeater and the individual radios don't require unit registering as it does with commercial DMR systems.

I can't see any commercial derived DMR getting much traction when you can set up a D-STAR repeater for under $1,000, probably 1/3 what surplus Motorola gear costs, not to even think about a new repeater. Even a brand new Yaesu DR-1 is going to be doable for a club. If Yeasu does what ICOM does they sell repeaters at cost or even free them away to clubs interested in setting up a D-STAR repeater (if only, ICOM will GIVE you a repeater and a few D-STAR HTs if you ask) I wouldn't be surprised if Yaesu's digital gets some installations pretty quickly.

So I'm still not sure where to plunk down my money. I'm not all that into D-STAR. It's more complicated than it needs to be. But it really is the most widespread ham digital mode right now.

I don't really much want to start building up Motorola gear. RT Systems gets $50 for software and a cable, which is chump change compared to Motorola. Most of the more current RSS and CPS seats are $250 per license, so you have to stick with one model otherwise just programming radios gets out of hand.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein