Thread: 5VZFE question
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Originally Posted by rover67 View Post

ALL the valves are still in their normal locations?

like it really did break a rod and it wasn't a valve that got munched due to botched timing belt/tensioner breaking a rod?
Isaac already mentioned that it's a non-interference motor but I was more wondering if the engine happened to maybe have any head gasket work or something. A broken rod is unheard-of even for supercharged 5VZs and crazy for a stock engine. Maybe it threw a rod and something was lost in translation. That can happen (right Ige?).

The best way I can think to break a rod is to get oil, coolant or water in the combustion chamber. Maybe HG? Is it running Toyota red coolant or does it have something else? I have a theory that Toyota coolant reduces HG erosion but worse is mixing coolants.

I would go with a decent used engine instead of just replacing the rod in situ. That worked in the 2F but modern engines are such close tolerances and designed with a lot less margin. When the rod broke who knows how badly the crank or cylinder walls were damaged. At least my luck wouldn't be in favor of tempting Murphy.
'91 Pickup - Imelda
'08 Tacoma TRD - Donna
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein