View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
any mig can run stainless. there are even flux core stainless consumables for you to use if you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
aluminum is one giant pain if you ask me. It takes a lot of amps, and cleanliness borders on fanatical - all that for tig -

For mig, you would need a spool gun, which makes life easy, but is costly for the home user unless you have a lot to do, plus only the pro-sumer boxes will accept them. Cleanliness is still important, but not as much so.

I would mig stainless all day if I could. virtually no difference in technique and such from mild steel. PS - the heat bluing comes off chemically, no need to sand it.
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but any chance you could expand on the flux core mig wire topic a bit? I recently replaced my exhaust with a borla/magnaflow hybrid and I think the resonator in the system is junk. (Made out of T-304 stainless). I had considered buying a new one and taking it to a shop to have put in, but if its possible to weld stainless with a mig welder, that intrigues me! I have a smaller 120v lincoln promig 140, but no gas for it. If a company sold flux wire for stainless in a small enough spool that may be an option!

Edit, I did find this but thats awfully thick wire for exhaust tubing. http://www.usaweld.com/Flux-Cored-30...fc-0-035-1.htm