Thread: Alcan Spring?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

they'll be going on a tundra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I got some for my 60 and have been happy although they did not deliver what I ordered. I asked for springs that were for a certain height with my rig loaded and they sent me their standard lift springs for a 60 saying I didn't know what I was asking for. This was after I corner weighed the truck and sent them all the specs that they asked for.

They are awesome springs when it is totally unloaded, but loaded to the number I spec'd it sags a ton & bottoms out when driven hard. It's a trade off I guess.

Also one of the first fronts I got lost it's arch within a week. I had to pay for a replacement, they said I did something to it as it would be very unusual for that to happen since they have such good quality control and the springs were the same batch. I guess did do something to it, I wheeled Spring Creek, that was it.

Since then they have been doing fine. I actually like them a lot compared to the OME's I had on there before, they fit better (are longer.. better shackle angles).

I'd get them again if I had to do it over I think. I'd just try to actually convince them to make them have a higher spring rate.
from what i've read, it seems that's a common theme with them which is a bit worrisome. quite a bit of abuse thrown around about them on mud but, i guess if you're willing to use them again, that says something. on the next go around, would you add a bit of a fudge factor on the numbers you give them?

with what i've got planned out, i'm guesstimating that the bed of the truck will have about 750lbs in it without gear, rear bumper or spare. adding those items in, it'll probably be near 1200.

lots to think about but it's a helluva lot more fun than real work...