View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think you hit on one important distinction. Although summits with roads are acceptable SOTA does not allow operation from a vehicle or anyway connected to a vehicle to count as a valid activation. The equipment must be carried by the activating team but how far is not defined.

Power must be stand-alone battery, solar or similar. No fossil fuels and no fixed source.

I don't think anyone means to be exclusive but I believe the spirit of SOTA is activate summits that would otherwise be relatively difficult and unusual. Putting Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak isn't a huge challenge. I think walking across a parking lot is not sufficient to count, it would have to be a legitimate hike from a trailhead, but that's just my opinion.

Probably should get in touch with Steve, WG0AT, about it, too.

http://w0-sota.org
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein