View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Way cool! Excellent progress and thanks again for such a great thread.
Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhcrana View Post
How much for another bumper just like that?

It would be so awesome if you sold pieces as a kit one could weld himself!
As a rule I never reveal what a client has paid for work done. If they feel like sharing, I have no problem with it, but it is up to them. I do however offer estimates or quotations, which are ballpark figures. If you would like a real estimate written up for your vehicle, call me at the shop and I would be happy to do so.

Custom work is expensive, though I have been told I have a fairly low shop rate for Boulder County. My shop rate is $80/hour and I charge for all time and materials. For this bumper, including all design, fabrication, and coating, I will have between 30-50 total hours into it when it is all said and done.

I have no plans to date of ever producing a bumper like this again. It is a custom one-off. To date, I don't offer any product lines or have any plans to. I enjoy doing the custom stuff, so that is what I do. Luckily, I have been able to maintain a full and busy schedule since I started. And hopefully it will stay that way.

If you have the knowledge and abilities it would take to properly weld together a bumper like this from kit form, you should easily be able to make one from scratch, thus, not needing a kit. Everything I have done besides the plate bending could be done with a tape measure, straightedge, drill, cut off disc and grinder (or any other metal cutting equipment), welder, and a sander. I just may use different equipment because I happen to own something that may make one of those processes quicker and/or easier, or I feel more comfortable with one over another. And the plate bending isn't needed. You could just cut and miter and weld everything together.

Hope that this helps.