View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Way cool! Excellent progress and thanks again for such a great thread.
Thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted by mikeyhcrana View Post
How much for another bumper just like that?

It would be so awesome if you sold pieces as a kit one could weld himself!
As a rule I never reveal what a client has paid for work done. If they feel like sharing, I have no problem with it, but it is up to them. I do however offer estimates or quotations, which are ballpark figures. If you would like a real estimate written up for your vehicle, call me at the shop and I would be happy to do so.

Custom work is expensive, though I have been told I have a fairly low shop rate for Boulder County. My shop rate is $80/hour and I charge for all time and materials. For this bumper, including all design, fabrication, and coating, I will have between 30-50 total hours into it when it is all said and done.

I have no plans to date of ever producing a bumper like this again. It is a custom one-off. To date, I don't offer any product lines or have any plans to. I enjoy doing the custom stuff, so that is what I do. Luckily, I have been able to maintain a full and busy schedule since I started. And hopefully it will stay that way.

If you have the knowledge and abilities it would take to properly weld together a bumper like this from kit form, you should easily be able to make one from scratch, thus, not needing a kit. Everything I have done besides the plate bending could be done with a tape measure, straightedge, drill, cut off disc and grinder (or any other metal cutting equipment), welder, and a sander. I just may use different equipment because I happen to own something that may make one of those processes quicker and/or easier, or I feel more comfortable with one over another. And the plate bending isn't needed. You could just cut and miter and weld everything together.

Hope that this helps.