View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Anyone run 4.88's and 285/295's on their 80?

Hi All,
Hoping to get some impressions and feedback from people who have run 285's or 295's on their 80 with 4.88 gears. I have been contemplating re-gearing for a while now but have yet to pull the trigger.

I spend probably 90% of my time driving at or below 65mph. During the winter nearly all the driving is at 8k+ feet in elevation with 285 snow tires. (I would plan on keeping the snow tires this size). Typically just up into the mountains to go skiing, etc. Most of that driving is <50mph, though if I head up I70 once in a blue moon speeds would be a bit higher(at least on the downhill).

During the spring/summer/fall its a mix of heading out to utah and exploring around CO for mountain biking, hiking, etc. Typically even with my stock gears I stay at about 65 on the highway.

I recently replaced my full exhaust system with a borla/magnaflow bolt in and did the O2 sensors at the same time. My hope was that all new equipment would give the 80 a little extra pep, but it actually did the opposite. I do realize that 80's are not fast, that the extra weight and slightly oversize tires don't help at all, but I struggle sometimes to hold second gear in many places.

I briefly considered going the SC + intercooler from Atoyot1031 on mud, but at a total cost of probably 4500 and possibly having to run high octane fuel during the summer makes it a less desirable option right now. Plus in the event I can put together a trip to south america being able to run on low grade gas would be really nice.

So, I am considering going with a 295 Hankook MT for the summer when I'd have more highway miles going to the desert, sticking with the 285's for the winter, and regearing to 4.88's. Seems like that might be a good option to help compensate for the altitude a bit?

If I did do this I'd sell my 285 terra grapplers, and depending on all the prices I think I'd be in at about 1800 net for tires and gears....which is a pretty big chuck of change.

Anyone run a similar setup and have an opinion one way or another? I don't mind driving slow on the highway but I'd rather stay long hauls in first gear when doing shorter drives up to go skiing.

Thoughts?

Pictures just for fun:

The intercooler that is nice and pricey too!

My snow tires that I really like:

Hankooks that come in a 295