View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
Thanks for the input. Will take a look at the C&TS this weekend.
I just learned that I have to fly out of town on wednesday, so I'll miss the meeting. Otherwise I'd just catch you there. Basic difference between the two: C&TS is owned by the states, and is a living museum--D&SNG is a for profit historic railroad. In terms of scenery, the C&TS goes over the mountains, and the D&SNG goes up a canyon. In my opinion, the views not he C&TS are infinitely better.

Quote:
Regarding both of them. Is transportation provided if you only ride the train one way? Say Silverton to Durango. As much fun as it would be to do an out and back on the trains there's still a bit of ground to cover (still trying to figure out logistics).
It can be. D&SNG is more restrictive in terms of schedule, but the C&TS has options to ride the train from Chama to Osier, then back to Chama (or a round trip from Antonito to Osier), or you can ride the train one way and catch a bus back (depends on the day, some days you ride the bus first, then catch the train).

You can also drive some good FR roads all the way to Osier and chase the train--there's also some good camping spots, and a metric ton of aspens. Here's the 40 meeting the train at Osier, and the 40 amongst a stunning aspen grove (BTW--is there anything more photogenic than an 854 40 in the aspens? I doubt it.)

Dan
Attached Images