View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

This is my solution to low hanging stuff, the STI-CO Flexi-whip. At least for 2m, the rear one. The front antenna is a Larsen for 70cm and both are 1/4λ and I run a duplexer. Anyway, the Flexi-whip is extremely durable and flexible, it's claimed it can be tied into a knot. Never tried that but it's lasted several years up there and I never remove it just about ever, including driving into the garage, parking structures, etc. It just flops over and pops right back straight.

If I find I need extra range I have 5/8λ whips that I can put on in place of the shorty whips but I have no trouble making Denver repeaters from up here even at low and mid power (5W and 25W), so I don't find that necessary much. Most of that is due to the ideal ground plane, it really makes a big different over lip mounts even with unity gain whips. I can't stress enough how well drilling an NMO mount in the middle of your roof works... Don't have to deal with large antennas and get essentially zero fade since a 1/4λ has equal gain through complete azimuth and elevation.
'91 Pickup - Imelda
'08 Tacoma TRD - Donna
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein