View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
..What bugs me is the extra 1/2" or so I have to trim to hit resonance. I can't figure out where it comes from. I have a decent transmission line model so I'm assuming it's in the PL259 or in the NMO on 70cm, even though they are supposed to be impedance matched to 1GHz I just don't buy it.
This is why it must be so nice to have an antenna analyzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
On your other issue, this is something I preach, lip and fender mounts distort your signal patterns, especially with 1/4λ and 5/8λ antennas. You lose about 3dB compared to the center of a roof in the plane direction and will have very little signal to the non-plane side.
That is exactly why I have the center roof mount! Those are some good references, one I had not seen before.

I did some testing with a 1/4 wave mini mag mount located between the sunroof and the windshield. At 5w I was full quieting into the Pikes Peak repeater, with any vehicle orientation with rear facing having slightly more static. Here are a few pics of the various setups. Obviously the 5/8 wave struggled MUCH more with the limited metal in the immediate surroundings. A correction to the location for the 5/8 wave, it was over the sunroof opening. I was really surprised by these differences in performance, especially how poorly the 5/8 wave was in this configuration.

Name:  nmo bar.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  90.4 KB
5/8 wave bar mounted over sunroof and fed into NMO roof mount. I am guessing this will be the location with the RTT.

Name:  nmo2.jpg
Size:  119.2 KB
NMO roof mount adapters

Name:  nmo.jpg
Size:  107.1 KB
NMO roof mount adapters

Name:  quarter wave.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB
MFJ 1/4 wave mini mag mount into fed into NMO roof mount. Located just in front of load bar, between sunroof and windshield. I am very surprised this location worked so well in the forward direction.

I wish I could see RF. Maybe I need to get a pair of those Geordi La Forge visors...Anyhow, I need to think about this a bit more.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin