View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default Downhill ski recommendations

Hey all you ski bums. Can you give me some solid advice?

Fifteen years ago, in 1999, I purchased some K2 Mod 7/8 skis (174 cm), and I have used them ever since. They've been great: rock solid and good for everything short of serious powder. Now I'm ready to replace them. I have a few questions -- any help and suggestions are much appreciated.
Here's my info:

Where do I ski?
Most frequent ski area is Copper Mountain. Also: Vail, Telluride, Steamboat, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breck, A-Basin.

Terrain:
Ski everything from back bowls to groomers. Plenty of moguls, but no park & pipe or race course. I do ski the trees with my kids. I like to feel stable when plowing through powder and crud.

Skill level: Intermediate/Advanced -- I'm not sure how much better I will get at this point. I'm not a great skier but I'm a good one.

Height / weight / age
Height: 67" (170 cm) / Weight: 190 lbs. / age: 49 years
I've demoed a few skis this year, and so far my favorite is the Rossignol Sin 7 skis. I rented a pair for the day at Copper Mountain last weekend and they were great. The tech at the ski shop recommended the 164 cm size and they seemed fine. After a few runs I was having a blast, and I did great on a long bump run. They seemed plenty fast, they turned easily and they were lighter than my old K2 skis.

I stopped by Colorado Ski & Golf last night. They were out of Sin 7 skis in any size at this location, but one of the other stores has a 172 cm pair that I can get. The tech at this store said he would recommend the 172 size over the 164 size for me anyway, especially since the ski surface is shorter on non-powder surfaces because of the big rockers at the front and back.

Question 1:
So what do you think? Which size is more appropriate and why?

Question 2:
The Soul 7 skis are more than half a pound lighter than the Sin 7 skis. What do you think: is it worth the extra money? They're also a bit fatter at the waist and I wonder how much different that will make in performance.

Question 3:
Any recommendation on bindings?

Question 4:
Any other models of skis that I should be trying out before I buy the Rossignols? I kept my last skis for 15 years and they are still in decent shape. I'll probably keep this next set for quite a while.

Thanks for any and all help!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.