View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Rising Sun member

Default FJ40 Stalling - snowdrift busting

Last year I was busting some snowdrifts and ended up stalling my FJ40 a couple times. It seemed to be an electrical problem and was consistent with the fine snow crystals blowing off the top of the drifts into my engine bay in some of the deeper drifts. I turned off the lights and would try to crank the engine but it would never catch and come to life. Then after a few minutes of waiting (in near 0 degree temperatures) I would try again and it would come to life and I would be on my way again.

I can only figure that the snow crystals were hitting something hot, melting, and the water droplets were migrating somewhere that didn't like them. Then, because the engine was hot, they would evaporate off in a couple minutes and I would be on my way again.

However, this has never ever been a problem in the past, on previous snow wheeling trips, or water crossings, nada.

Any ideas? I have a '77 2F, '79 vented dizzy and ignition (no points). Are the spark plugs that sensitive to water? I would think not based on this picture:

Anyway, just bothered me this morning so I thought I'd ask.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD