View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Originally Posted by Phrog View Post
Could snow have gotten into the distributor and caused a temporary short/ground, which went away as soon as the snow evaporated? The spark plugs themselves wouldn't have gotten wet, but the ignition system upstream of the spark plugs could have.

With the vented distributor design I'm not sure that could happen, but something like that is certainly what I suspect to have happened. The next question would be what is the most likely culprit and what do I need to do to avoid having that same incident in the future?

Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I would guess that the cold snow hitting your hot engine evaporated and your intake sucked in a bunch of water vapor which would stall it. Not as likely in the summer maybe due to the warmer air?
Hm, maybe. I guess the same thing happens when you pour Seafoam into the intake. But it seems like the engine can take quite a bit of that and still run. The problem on this occasion was that it wouldn't restart once it stalled, even if I cranked it for several seconds. Didn't want to kill the battery because it was dark and cold and I didn't want to have to walk to a neighboring house if I didn't have to. But after a few minutes of sitting it started back up.
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, no more Sanden OBA (factory emissions)
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD