View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Lifted

Ha, I knew it. Good for you to have the educational background compatible with one's hobby. Must be nice to be able to get into a radio like that and fix it. I will keep those pics handy should I decide to pursue. So I guess you have a FT857 as well?

I have been out of town so I will do a bit more antenna testing in the next few days. By the way, on the FT857 group I read this below that was at the end of an unrelated question to the one I posted. Seems like this type of radio response may be associated with what I am experiencing.

"Also I was too anxious to concern myself with it's technical performance when I first got it and discovered a weird issue with 70cm that really is no problem at all, but it caused me to think mine was limited to about 6 or 7 watts on 70cm. On 70cm the radio is quite sensitive to reflected power and apparently reactance near the VHF/UHF connector. I have one particular VHF/UHF SWR/Power meter that works fine connected with a 2 or 3 foot patch cable on other radios, but when connected to the FT-857D causes the power to fold back even if the SWR is low. With that same meter connected on the end of a 10 foot patch cable everything is fine. It quickly folds back power from 22 watts to 10 watts anytime the SWR reaches 3:1. It does not fold back power so much on 2 meters at 3:1. On 2 meters it folds back from 50 watts to 40 watts and then more as the SWR increases. So if you get low power out on 70cm, don't be concerned. "

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin