Thread: CM14 pre-run
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Another observation made during the pre-run is that Razr-type vehicles are taking over the Moab scene. Unlicensed vehicles running all over town, through parking lots and on the roads in and around town. What they are doing to soft sections of trail is pretty radical - think moguls spaced about two feet apart - like speed bumps and it makes for a rocking horse ride in a truck. In two days of being on the trail, Cheeseman, Art Volmer and I saw very few full-sized vehicles. I remember only a couple on Wipeout Hill and Tusher Tunnel and NONE on Gold Bar Rim and only saw one group of buggies on the first mile of Rusty Nail. Tons of Razrs, however. The wheeling world is changing dramatically, IMO.
Disheartening to hear. I wonder the impact this will have during CM. Some trails will have 15 vehicles or more on them. Running into a group of RAZR's could cause a bottleneck. They obviously can travel much faster than vehicles on the trail. Maybe it's something that all trail leaders/gunners should discuss with their groups?

We had an issue at 100s in the Hills this year with a group of them on Poughkeepsie Gulch. They wanted by so badly that they rode us hard, but there was no safe place to pass on the uphill shelf road. Once we made room, pulled to the side and stopped, we waved them through. One of them tagged a friends 100 and traded some paint. The guy never stopped. We did catch back up with them and someone asked "Did you realize you hit one of our trucks?" and his response was "Well, you shouldn't have let us pass then". It could have went south very quickly right then...... but we let it go.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW