View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I bought just a couple of individual Toyota-sized taps that I needed from Grainger. They have been super useful for cleaning up hardtop bolt holes, etc. The quick version of 'how to use a tap' is to:

Drill/have the correct size hole.
Get the correct style tap (bottoming or one of the other two types) with the correct pitch.
Coat the tap with cutting oil (I sometimes use anti-sieze)
Screw the tap 1/4-1/2 turn, and back it off.
Repeat - screw in, back off, etc.
Remove tap regularly (every 1-2 turns), wipe off metal bits, re-oil, and restart in hole.

The slots cut in the side of a tap allow the waste products to get out of the threads.

The goal is to not hurry, and to keep the tap clean and well lubed. Many tap handles are awkward and you'll use a small adjustable wrench at times to turn the tap. Do not overtap and overdo this, or you'll have a wobbly hole - just clean up the threads as little as you need to.

As for JIS fasteners, you can buy a $10 package of them (a 6"x9" plastic box labeled JIS Fasteners) at Advance Auto or Autozone. After you part out a few Toyotas, however, you'll be drowning in JIS fasteners ;-)
X2

I too bought just what I needed. I have a craftmans set i got years ago but I never seemed to have the size or thread size I needed so I went to AAA Metric and got 5 sets of tap/die/chasers that covered nearly all the sizes I needed for my 4Runner. I nice T&D set can easily run you over a $150 but piece it together from scratch it should be 1/3 of that. Or just buy 1 set at a time as you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me