View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Default 4 days to get to Crested Butte in late July

So, a couple friends are getting married in Crested Butte July 27th. I have off from the 22nd to the 28th and so does a good friend who is also going to the wedding. Thus begins a plan in my head. Would love to have some input from you fine folks. Would love it even more if anyone wants to join us.

Thus far it'll be myself driving a 2005 Taco w/ OME lift, BFG AT 265s, sliders, RTT, fridge, etc. I'm also pretty sure my friend Tim will be coming along and driving his 2010 TRD Taco that is stock except for BFG AT 265s. So, we wanna have fun, see cool stuff, fish a bit, and keep the wheeling relatively mellow.

The rough plan I just sketched out looking at an Atlas:

Tuesday the 22nd: We'll probably get a late start. Would like to drive Argentine Pass and camp on the far side.

Wednesday the 23rd: Drive out to Keystone/Dillon for gas and gear. Hop on 70 to Vail Pass and camp on Shrine Pass.

Thursday the 24th: Here is where I start to be really unsure of what to do. I don't know this area at all. Was thinking about taking a road labelled "708" toward Pando and Camp Hale. Then a road labelled "705" or No Name Road toward Leadville. Then pop into Leadville if we need gas or anything. Then take Hagerman Pass to Fryingpan Lakes and camp on the Frying Pan.

Friday the 25th: Thinking we'll fish the Frying Pan for a bit because it's all famous and whatnot. I think we can just keep heading South along the Frying Pan all the way to Independence Pass. Then we could drive Independence Pass to Aspen. Then I'm reading we can take either Pearl, Taylor, or Schofield Pass to Crested Butte. I don't know anything about any of these passes, so please chime in.
KEŘITH