View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

The Arch Canyon and Hotel Rock pre-run was incredible. The Wasatch Cruisers are a great group of guys, and I think we'll try to meet up to run with them more often.

All my pictures are here.

Arch Canyon is an easy, scenic trail. There are something like 60 water crossings, none of which were deep. Royal Rose said the water level was very low for this time of year.

The Hotel Rock Trail is much more difficult: I'd rate it a 4, on par with Poison Spider and Hells Revenge. There are constant ledges to ascend and descend. When you get to the top, you get to check out the Hotel Rock Indian ruins, which are very cool. Then you go back down, using the same trail.

There is one very difficult obstacle, which is harder on the return trip. Jack Christensen from Wasatch rolled his 1981 red FJ40 on this obstacle. I was taking pictures of him until he started to roll, then I jumped out of the way. The 40 did an endo, rolled over completely, landed on all 4 tires, and was still running. Kurt Williams saw it too, and had the presence of mind to yell, "Jack, get your hand inside the truck!" Jack was shaken up but unhurt.

In my gallery, you can see the picture of Jack just before he rolled. His right front tire was too high, and that made all the difference.

Except for that one incident, the trip was trouble free, and everyone had a great time.

We had a group of 19 trucks, mostly 80 series Land Cruisers. We also had one 70, two 40s, two tacos, one 100 (Ben's), and a Suzuki Sidekick with 4Runner axles.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.