View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

Another vote for MT/Rs. Great in all conditions including ice, and wear very well. Running my second set of 35x12.50/15s on the Chili.

The only problems: this last set came from the factory somewhat less than round. Apparently after producing all they could for Iraq the factory switched back to commercial production and, um, perhaps some of the roundness quality checks (totally unnecessary on HUMM-Vs, I guess) were not reimplemented - or something like that, I am told. Goodyear bought another set for me gratis, including replacing my fourth tire which was also a little lumpy and was bought by me over three years ago.

So look at the tires on the balancing machine and accept only if round - that goes for all tire brands. Except Intercos, you won't find a round one ever. Do keep in mind that 'round' with OHV tires is a relative term though, not like P225/60R-17 V rated sports car tires or such.

This current set is plenty round enough. The only other problem I've had, not really related to the MT/Rs, is turning my wheels inside the tire when 4 wheeling, and then bouncing all the way home. After I qualified for the Frequent Rebalancer award, the GY manager suggested Centramatic auto balancers (not that he didn't like seeing me and kibbitzing about wheeling or anything, but...). At 2 large, they are not an impulse item, but I gotta tell ya I love them. I had to sleeve three lugs per corner as my lugs are 12mm, and they were drilled for 1/2", but shrink tube is a resource with many applications.

Once sleeved, worked great. No weights, no bounce, and if I ever need to cook a pizza or four when camping I just have to pull the wheel.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.