View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Trail Ready

Default Gas Tank Woes Pt. 2

-OR-

How to drive your 40 without feeling like puking.

So careful readers may remember my gas tank problems last summer. Short story, PO installed a poly tank. Even a quick read of IH8MUD will tell you that's not the way to go, but it is what it is. On the positive side, the space under the tank has obviously been repaired, and is now rust free.

Last summer I was tired of gas spilling out onto the passenger side floor on hot days, so I removed the sending unit and resealed it with RTV.

After a couple months the fumes were back, so I assumed my repair didn't work. At least the actual liquid gas hadn't reappeared.

Today I decided to fix it once and for all. I would love a brand new steel tank ($350 + tax from Boulder Toy, considerably less, but still pricey from Cdan) but only a month before Christmas is not the time to be dropping money on my truck. So I removed the seat and cover, and lo and behold my RTV repair worked! See pics below, and note the dust on and around the sending unit, indicating successful repair.

Now this other attachment to the left, (we'll call it "gas in") is the culprit. I'm going to unscrew it, add some RTV to the top couple threads, and screw it back in. Then I'll cover the bottom part with RTV. Hopefully have the same success as with the sending unit.

My question is: Does anybody know how the three brass fittings in the second picture are attached? Are they threaded as well? One of them appears to be leaking as well, and I'm just fishing for some first hand info. before I take them out. If they are some kind of pressure fitting, I'm just going to liberally cover them with RTV and be done with it, but if they screw out, I'll treat them the same as the "gas in" line.

Thanks for any help.
-Matt
Attached Images