View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
well, here goes.. i remember doing the c clips in the hubs. I didnt take the pinion out (or rebuild that diff since it ran fine before i tore everything down). the bushings in the front hubs looked pretty new actually. very little wear. i need to check the flanges for radial slop. will get under there and wiggle them tonight.

Fronts driveshafts are much tougher to keep vibes down on lifted trucks unless you change the caster angles by cutting and turning the knuckles! A common solution for wagons especially is running a CV joint at the t-case. 4* is not horribly bad unless it's a positive 4* (pinion high vrs low) Rear shims are iffy as they deal with constant torque loading. I suggest getting 4* shims and shimming the rear axle to get your planes parallel. If the vibes go away then plan on repairing the problem by relocating the spring pads on the axle by the same * that it took to smooth it out. Rotational vibrations are caused from inconsistencies. Example....T-case flange is -4*(down) tilt pinion flange is +4*tilt drive shaft is at 4* angle....-4 + +4 cancel each other out, driveshaft has no imbalance....no vibration. T-case 0*, Pinion +4* drive shaft at 4* angle....4's again cancel each other but the O* pinion has no way to cancel so you have a balance inconsistency = vibration.....solution - add CV joint which cases two joints to each take 2* of angle....4's cancel each other out again. Clear as mud?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior