Thread: gearing??'s
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

If you threw some 33's on your truck now you will see what 4:56's would be like. 4:88's would be like 31's on your truck now, give or take a few R's. Without an overdrive 88's might be a little annoying on the highway if your in a hurry but you would get used to it. If you move up to a true 35" tire or 36's or even 37's you'll wish you went with 88's but if normal 35's is what the truck will stay at and it will be 70% on road then 56's probably will be low enough.
Clear as mud?
Another factor to look at is you do have gear box options for lower gears in the FJ-60. If you decide to be more trail worthy swapping in lower T-case gearing options with the 4:56's will give you roadability and crawling solutions!

Hope I didn't get you in trouble with the with that last option....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Jerk
Hey all!

I need to start looking into re-gearing my wagon for the hills you guys have otu there

Currently I'm running 35" BFG MT's with 4.11 gears. I enjoy the overdrive that I get on the flat land out here, but I doubt I will like it much when I'm driving up and down Ute Pass (Woodland Park to Colo Spngs) every day. I don't plan on DDing it forever, but it's going to have to get me around until I can pick something else up.

So my big question is do I go with 4.56's or 4.88's.

I would like to go 4.88 but I'm concerned what it will do to my top end speed. It will still have to get me to the trail and back. But then again if I go 4.88's and I go up in tire size later on I will probably wish I had done 4.88's.

Any opinions?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior