View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Dunno about a compass, I just carry one of those. But just about every single 2 meter ham radio can receive the weather bands. There's only 9 frequencies and the one in Denver is 162.550 MHz. Beyond, most radios made in the last decade or so will do what's call wide band receive, which means they can pick up frequencies way beyond where they can transmit. The radio I have is sort of lower middle quality and can receive aircraft bands, weather, commercial, public safety (even hear the National Park Service, BLM and USFS radios), FRS, GMRS. I can only transmit on the ham bands, but I can listen to just about every radio that transmits from 108MHz to 999MHz (with a handful of off limit bands, like cell phones).

Ask the people down in New Orleans how counting on stuff like VoIP and cell phones worked out. Only the ham guys were getting messages in and out...
Dave,
I don't think other than by friendly taunting anyone disputes the utility of ham radio. They play an important role in worldwide communication on both surface and air. The debate for us as "responsible off-highway enthusiasts" is whether every rig out there needs to have 2 meter communication in addition to OR instead of Citizen band radios. I think it is a no-brainer that most all agree that EVERY rig needs some type of communication!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior