View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Echolink, not familiar with it other than having heard of it. IOW, never used it. This could be handy if you want to talk to someone at home, since it's a way to talk to someone on a computer. But the person on the computer has to be a licensed ham I think, since their voice will be coming over a radio. Although that might fall into the auto patch provision, where it's legal to have a non-licensed person on the phone. I dunno, not familiar with it too much and couldn't tell you the number of repeaters around that might have access to it.
Echolink and IRLP both require the operator to be licensed. Each of these can be used with a radio from any manufacturer and because of this are very popular and widespread. Your radio will need to be capable of DTMF, i.e. numbers to dial with on your microphone, which most new radios today are. One other thing to keep in mind is that these features are typically provided as benefits to the radio club members and are protected by access codes.

The Colorado Repeater Association Club has Echolink and IRLP repeaters.

The Rocky Mountain Radio League Club has an IRLP repeater - they had the first IRLP node in the state.

The Denver Radio Club has an Echolink repeater.

There are several other clubs in the metro area and I did not check their repeaters this morning, they may also have these capabilities.
TLCA #18941