View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Exclamation VeriSign: A huge .com scam in the making

From the blog of Bob Parsons (GoDaddy.com). He writes that VeriSign is trying to monopolize and control the .COM registry.
VeriSign wants to control the .COM registry forever.
VeriSign has somehow persuaded ICANN to propose a new contract where VeriSign will be the permanent and unregulated controller of the .COM registry. VeriSign would also get the right of presumptive renewal. This means when the new contract for the .COM registry comes up for renewal in 2012, it won’t be put out for bid – like the .NET contract was in 2005 – instead it will simply renew in VeriSign’s favor.
What’s the implication on this? Once they have a total control on .COM registry expect the .COM top level domain will also increase its price as they have the SOLE and MONOPOLY controller of the .COM registry. There will be no more competition or war on price. The end-losers here are us consumers. As the .COM registrars will also be forced to increase as VeriSign has the sole discretion to increase the .COM contracts to the registrars.

You can read more, and write a letter to your representatives in Washington D.C. The letter is already written for you and it is quite good.
http://www.bobparsons.com/dotcomscam.html

Please take the time to do so.

Matt

/no 4WD content
//sorry 'bout that!
///I likes my slashies.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.