Thread: Cargo nets...
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I want a net that I can move from the rear to just behind the drivers seats. I will load quite a bit mid ship to distribute weight better and a movable net is a good idea! This is also why I do not want any more passengers other than a co-pilot as the butt heavy 80 doesn't need everything packed in the butt!
UB,

Some pictures just for you . I was looking at how one might install a net like I have behind the front seats. The biggest issue I see is how far back the front row seats travel, especially for the taller folks . I'm 5'9" on a good day and my seat is pretty far back. The first picture below is with the PS all the way forward. The second picture shows the PS seat in a position even with where my DS seat is set.

In looking at possible setups, I believe a person could attach the top strap to the grab bar just above and slightly in front of where the seat is. The bottom strap could be attached to either a footman loop installed down low OR to a fabbed up bracket that would attach to the front seat belt attachment point. The middle two straps coming off the net? Well, not sure where those would attach to. The 2nd top loop strap might reach to the 2nd row grab handle. May have to use and extension. The 2nd bottom strap might go to the same bracket or footman loop as the other bottom strap .

One thing I have not checked yet is the height of the net compared to the floor to roof height in an 80. Knowing how the net fits in the rear cargo area I can only surmise the net will be a little "short" to reach the full height behind the first row seats. But, that is probably not a big issue, especially if the 2nd row seats are folded down or tumbled forward and given that the seats and the console should keep anything low down on the floor from coming forward.

Thoughts?

Attached Images

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater