View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Rising Sun member

Now I really don't get it. SOP for a lot of people is to take a 1 1/2" sch. 40 pipe, longer than the long side axle, stuff the end with a rag, put a rag over the top edge, slide the axle inside so the birf rests on top of the pipe, lift up the whole thing and slam it down on the ground. The longside pops off pretty quick due to the mass of the axle but the short side sometimes takes some persuading.

What the FSM recommends is clamping the axle in a vice and taking a drift and pounding it against the cage of the birf to pop it off the axle shaft. I found this to be very difficult (impossible for me), less appealing, and in my view, potentially more chance for damage than the pipe method.

I'm having trouble seeing how you are using a 12" piece of PVC and a vice to get 'er done...or slamming against the edge of a bumper...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD