View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Marlin Leaf Spring Fix

Thought you guys would want to see the welded, hacked, pieced together spring that got me up Cadillac Hill, off the Rubicon, home to Denver and carried my sorry rear around to work and back for the past month (dang).

First is the spring as assembled. The main spring is the one Marlin's buddy James welded back together. The next one down (the military wrap one) was the only good one left from my original pack. The third spring and overload were from a stock Toyota pack. There is another full length spring on top of the main spring, new center pin and a couple of clamps to minimize flex in the welded zone.
Attachment 9934

If you look closely, the center pin was put in wrong by someone... Of course I noticed AFTER peening the nut. Knocked the edges off the bolt and it dropped right into the spring perch, so it wasn't a big deal.
Attachment 9938

I cut the ends off another main spring I got donated, this was assembled on top of the repaired main spring.
Attachment 9936
Attachment 9937

Close up of the repair zone as assembled.
Attachment 9935

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.