3. Experts worry this trend could lead to fires, especially at repair shops

Significant Points

1. Different extinguishers needed to fight ethanol fires

2. Ethanol can eat up o-rings, gaskets, which can then leak fuel

3. Repair shops urged to conduct close inspections

4. Even Coast Guard working on ways to contain ethanol spills

5. E85 mixes w/ water, so shops can't always be sure it's diluted

Says

"You're going to have a lot of car fires in shops because of this." -- Bob Lorenz, firefighting consultant, College of DuPage

"I sat across from a station here in Topeka that was selling E-85 and watched people; you would not believe the older cars that are filling up with it. I think we are going to start to see some of these older cars having fires." -- unnamed Kansas firefighter

"We did some testing and found that when we diluted E-85 by 500 percent with water it still burned. So now you will have shops that wash out tanks, wash out spills and wash them down the drain. Even heavily diluted E-85 is flammable and even explosive in the right environment. So when you spill one gallon of E-85 and wash it down with five gallons of water you've created six gallons of flammable liquid." -- Todd Hoffman, executive director, Scene of Accident

"An ABC fire extinguisher will put the fire out, but these dry chemical extinguishers do not stop vapors from being released -- so there is a greater chance of the fire re-igniting when the vapors reach an ignition source or hot metal. E-85 has a wider flammability range than gasoline and a lower ignition temperature; it will ignite faster and catch fire in a wider range of concentrations in the air." -- Hoffman
Toyotas are not rated for E85. Igniting and burning down on the road is not on my list of must-dos.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.