View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluefj View Post
That's the problem we make it here and send it there and we pay more here??????

kevin
Not to worry...A lot of what we suck up out of the ground down here we have to send up to you to refine so you can send it back to us

It is, and will continue to be, a global issue. Obviously there is not yet a shortage because the last I checked I can get gas no problem. I agree with Hayes in that this is NOT going to be a problem quickly resolved. How long will it take for all of the oil burning vehicles in the US to be replaced with alternative fuel vehicles, once they are even available? 10 years, 20 years, 30 years? How many people are going to run right out and buy the first CNG powered or hydrogen powered or whatever powered vehicle they can buy off a dealer lot to replace their 2, 5, 10 year old vehicle?

I visited the T Boone Pickens website today just to get a better idea of his plan. The plan? Put in a huge amount of wind mills in the Central US to replace the roughly 22% of the US's electricity that is produced today via CNG. Then, use that CNG to power vehicles vs oil and reduce our dependence upon foreign oil. He states this could happen fairly quickly and much quicker than say installing some nuclear power plants to do similar.

Well, I don't buy it. First, you have to build the wind farms. That won't be very quick. Then you have to get enough people to start buying CNG burning vehicles to use up the 22% of CNG that was previously used to make electricity. Of course you need a car manufacturer to make all of the CNG buring cars or come up with conversion kits for existing vehicles. Then, you need to add to the infrastructure to get CNG available to people to fill up or offer some sort of home fill up kit. It would sort of ruin the economics of it if people have to drive 10 or 20 miles to "fill up" somewhere that they can get CNG.

Don't get me wrong. I think T Boone Pickens has some good ideas but I also don't think he is being 100% up front with how long this is going to take to make a REAL impact. We need a multi-pronged attack which IMO includes drilling locally for oil (off shore, ANWR, oil shale, etc.) starting now to get us down the road another 10-20 years until new technology can start replacing all of the gas burning vehicles. One way or the other we'll need that oil eventually as it isn't just gasoline that we need oil for.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater