View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Typically, the metal transfers from one contact due to DC current, making it thinner and pitted. While replacing them both "while you're in there" is a great idea, the one worn contact makes the disk which connects the two get at too much of an angle on the center shaft of the solenoid to make a good contact. Once you get it apart you'll easily see what I'm trying to put into words.
That's probably true. I'll replace both of them though and keep one as a spare. From what I saw of the starter diagram at Burt it looks like they are different and not interchangable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
The solenoid is integral to the starter. Really, though, like Jeff says, once you have it apart it will all make sense. However, everything IN the solenoid is available, meaning the contacts and the plunger. So why change the solenoid, even if you could?

Be observant of how things came apart, and reassemble identically. You probably knew that, but it is easy to discover a rubber o-ring on your bench right after you get it all back together. DAMHIK.

FWIW, I have never had to replace the plunger. They were certainly pitted, but they wear evenly because they rotate, I guess. I have dressed them lightly with a file on occasion.
Okay I guess I misunderstood the part and how it is integrated with the starter. I haven't taken it out yet, but I'm sure that will be obvious to me once I do.

I am not quite, but almost a freak about parts and keeping them organized during a project like this. If only I could keep my workbench as organized!

I'll pay close attention to the plunger.

Thanks!
Winston