View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
Thanks fellas. I ran the numbers with my tranny first gear, t-case, tire size, and R&Ps. Overall I think the 4.88s make the most sense.
Jeff, Keep in mind there is more to final gearing than just math! Physics is a huge chunk of the pie! If you are running a 2F or some anemic 4 popper in a rig then low gears are your only choice. When you double or even triple your hp and torque you have to take into factor the strength. You don't need as low a gear with more power so you can get by with a higher pinion tooth count (stronger) and still pull hills that would kill a tractor engine! Tough choices I know! 4:88's are great gears but your pushing a lot of power through just a few pinion teeth! I have run 4:56's in Wild Rice(my 40) for years driving 36" grooved swampers by a perky F! Except on the highway up long grades I have no power issues! On those long grades it will still pull 40-45! The place you want to address is your tranny/t-case gearing! you already have a 700R4 which has a great 1st gear (3.06:1!) plus the almighty trail handling torque converter. Focus some thought on more than a 2-1 t-case and you will create the best of both worlds.....great highway gears that are strong and great crawling ability that lets you save the body by the use of finesse instead of speed!

....that is just about worth....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior