View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
I cold started the engine, the choke worked fine and came to a proper low speed idle when it wormed up. There was a clear roughness, but no smoke from the tail pipe. I then listened to the engine with a diagnostic stethoscope and could hear a difference in the mechanical function of the head over cylinder 5. I did not hear anything "evil" from the bottom end at any of the cylinders. After I shut the thing off I pulled the dipstick and could see that the oil had been changed. I smelled it and it just smelled like it had 160K on it (the dipstick overall), nothing I noticed was particularly bad; no coolant for example.

This was not an exhaustive evaluation. If I had to guess I would say that it had bad cam lobes (flat) over 5 and/or 6. I'm not Toyota expert, but that would be my guess.

If it's cam or valve related that will show up on a wet /dry compression test! The amount of effort it takes to get a comp test a few more minutes and you can have the valve cover off and have a look see. Worn cam lobes are uncommon but if that is what's wrong that is nearly always from lack of oil or very dirty oil. My guess is you will end up pulling the head to solve your issue. If the heads not cracked then a headgasket replacement with a freshened head will make it purr again! While in there don't forget the PHH!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior