View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Waldorf ATV Investigation

Well, it was successful. Kinda.

It was a good hike, only .75 mile or so as the crow flies, but through unimproved forest with about 600 feet elevation gain.

It took us a little while to locate the wreck, but once we did we got a couple GPS points saved of it.

We immediately started to dismantle it and once we got a bunch of parts laying around we packed up what we could and took off about 1pm, just in time to beat the storm to the trees on the other side of the ridge and enjoyed a gentle rain as we descended back to the cars.

Theboomboom had a run-in with a knife, that was the only real excitement of the day. Hope he's okay. He stabbed his finger with my very new Spyderco, which has a pretty wicked sharp blade, and I was able to put my EFR training from Hatfield's SCUBA place to good use, though I could have been a little more level-headed and done a little better job. BUT - adequate care received is better than perfect care withheld, so it should be fine.

We didn't get the whole thing; not sure there's going to be any interest to head up there again this year, and we're going to have to do some figuring to think of the best way to get the heavy parts (4 tires, engine and frame) out of where it is. Not an easy task. Will post up pics in a bit.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD