View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Interesting, thanks. I have been considering adding another inch or so in back, but have been worried the increased height would result in rear driveline vibrations. I've got relatively new U-joints and a retubed/rebalanced shaft already, so maybe I'll go for it!
Nak, The only reason you need a DC shaft is that your pinion flange and your T-case output flange are no longer parallel. As you know, angles cancel out angles so as long as both joints are working the same angle (without binding) they will cancel each other out. I have rotated my pinion up to get my drive shaft above the control arms and out of rock rash mecca. My pinion is now pointed straight at my output flange. By making that angle 0 my joint at the t-case flange is now still at full angle which would create horrible vibrations....thus the need for a CV joint which has two joints splitting the angle thus canceling each other out....comprende? What you will need is adjustable upper control arms so you can rotate the pinion down so you can get your flanges parallel. NOTE: If you do decide to do the CV thang and rotate your pinion up you need to remember that any solution to one problem often creates another. In the case of upward rotated pinion your fill plug will be slightly lower than optimal and your rear sway bar will hang down more.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior