View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred
I have a Tamiya Mountaineer (toyota mini-truck) sans the Toyota body (very expensive these days, but I'll get one someday)

I have the stock birfs, but aluminum ones are available.
It has the 3 speed tranny which I fully ball bearinged. (Is that a word?)
I have 3:1 diffs in it instead of the stock 2:1s which is the coolest mod on it.
Aluminum wheels (but no beadlocks) sport the good looking Masher 2000 tires.
aluminum lower shock mounts.
nice cross over steering rods.
I have modded traxxas MAXX driveshafts that suck because the plastic parts can't take the Toyota/Tamiya torque. They do, however, look a lot better than the brass/steel u-joints.

Yeah, it is far from perfect, but it does work. It isn't something I spend any time on or anything, but it is kinda fun to drive (I have to hit the transmitter a lot with my hand and the range is terrible). Maybe, someday, it can be a realistic lookin' rock crawler model, but it will never compete with the incred-a-travel r/c crawlers out there. Betcha there are other Tamiya bruisers/moutaineers/hilux/blazers in the basements of risingsun club members.
I have a "super secret" nitro powered Cruiser Crawler in the works right now. This interest and thread might encourage me enough to finish the cage and get it done before next meeting! Spy pics soon I would guess. Here is a pic of the tow vehicle....well not really but could be if needed! ....
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior