Thread: Mountain bikes
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Lifted

Wait till Bikeman speaks but here is what I've found out in the past 3 years with 2 different bikes. My first bike was a Specalized XC Comp and it got the crap beaten out of it. I put somewhere between 500 and 600 miles on it in 4 months before it got stolen. It had a Rockshox tora in the front and the lockout never worked completely. I blew out the rear shock going over some drainage berms a little too fast. My current bike is a Rocky Mountain ETSX 50 (bikes.com). It wasn't cheap but it makes a world of difference. Fox front and rear provide a super smooth ride over anything I throw at it. It has the Shimano dual shift/brake levers and those are pretty sweet. With just over a 1000 miles on the bike in 1.5 years the only thing that has really failed was the fox fork. (dont do drops with the front locked out). My specalized had mechanical disks while the RM has hydraulic. I liked the mechanical because I could adjust them on the fly but the hydraulic are more responsive and like to lock up around power slides. I pushed both bikes really hard but my RM is still going strong.

It really depends on what you want to do. A strict uphill bike should be a hard tail but if it is a 60% uphill and a 40% downhill look at the short travel rears because it makes a world of difference.

MACINNES CLAN
Well we allready got one (holy grail)
I fart in your general direction
SEAN JONES KD0DHU

Fighting fire in the last frontier.