View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen
good post...

I agree that the 36's are prolly gonna be overpowering the 4" suspension setup. 90% sure I'm goin' Trxxus. I know that the front ends are really the "stumbling" block so to say with the flex in the 80's.

I've been reading the thread in mud til I can't see straight about improving the flex in 80's...and my main question is....How badly do they need it???

Seems you have a few options:

A: 3 Link the front, prolly most expensive but by far solves all flex issues...

B: Pulling a bolt/hitch pin on one of the front control arm mounts...helps flex a little more, but at the expense of what? any deterioation of driveability? wear?

C. Flipping the arms to the top....not sure what this gains exactly, more clearance, possibly less bind if you build different brackets that allow more side/side/twist of the bushings....or add johhny joints/similar?

I guess my real question is, at this point...how may of you feel limited on the trails you are doing by your front flex?
Your asking yourself the right questions! 80's are extremely capable and can do most anything you can throw at them. Mine will never see suspension alterations on a large scale as it's not what I need it to do. I need a dual purpose rig that looks good, I can drive the family ANYWHERE in comfort, and fortunately it is more capable than I need it to be! (and yes it plays the hard core game just fine!) I also have my very modified 40 for the trails that I WILL NOT take my 80 on! If your gonna build an 80 as a hard core rig sacraficing some of its highway comfort then start with a 93 or 94 as it's much cheaper, has the lowergeared 442 tranny, no airbags and you can even find one with the econo cloth seat package! Just my
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior